Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lesson One: Video Clip

Video clips are a great way to emphasize Spiritual points. I've used a lot of Veggie Tales clips since they are so obviously Christian in nature. However, I have realized that a video doesn't have to be "Christian" to illustrate a point. I often find myself looking for Biblical points in every G-rated movie I watch with my kids, and I usually find at least one.
The video clips included in this curriculum are just suggestions, based on the movies I had available to me. You may not have these movies; if so, just search through what you have for clips that illustrate the point being made.

Let me just make a note regarding videos: kids today are often over-saturated with the entertainment industry. They often spend hours throughout the week staring at the TV or playing video games (much of which is anything but sanctified). I try to keep the video clips short and I try not to use them as a babysitting tool or as just a time-filler. As with every activity, video clips should help to emphasize the point being discussed, giving the kids a visual reference to remember the lesson that was being taught.


Video Clip:

Muppet’s Treasure Island: Scene 3, “Something Better”
Approximately 3-4 minutes long
Introduce the clip by saying: People often wish they had more to their life - something better - but only in Jesus will we find true adventure and fulfillment. Life without God is just plain boring and depressing.
After showing the clip, spend a minute or two allowing the kids to discuss what kind of things people do to find adventure and excitement. Discuss whether these things are good or bad. Then re-emphasize that, unless we have Jesus in our heart, nothing else will satisfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment