Following is the outline for our "Pirates and Princesses" unit. The history behind developing this theme started with Disney World. I noticed one day, as my children were glued to the Disney Channel, that the Disney company is the absolute king for capturing kids' imaginations. How could I harness that kind of "magic" for God? I've been to Disney World at least 10 times (I've actually lost count), and I realized that you could easily use the theme parks to connect to Biblical themes, such as using a World Showcase-type theme to emphasize Missions. Lately, Disney has been having "Pirates and Princesses" parties to appeal to both boys and girls (few boys want to be "princes," but pirates? now that's cool!). But what, I thought, connects these two different things? Jewelry, wealth, treasure... Immediately, I thought of Proverbs 8:10-11, and this curriculum was born.
Theme Verse: “Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her.” ~Proverbs 8:10-11
Key Word: Wisdom
Lesson 1: Matthew 13:44-46 -- Seeking. We will only find real “treasure” when we search for it with all our heart. (The Merchant)
Lesson 2: Psalm 51 -- Repentance. Finding the “treasure” of God’s forgiveness requires acknowledging our sin and recognizing that we cannot save ourselves. (David)
Lesson 3: Proverbs 1:7 -- Salvation. Making Jesus Lord is the first step to the “treasure” of true wisdom. (The Lost Lamb and The Prodigal Son)
Lesson 4: Psalm 119:11, 130 -- God’s Word. The Bible is our “treasure map” for life, leading us down the right path and helping us avoid Satan’s traps. (Temptation of Jesus)
Lesson 5: Proverbs 18:10 -- The Name of the Lord. Jesus is a “treasure,” a strong tower in whom we can trust even when nothing else is safe. (God‘s name in Scripture)
Lesson 6: Matthew 6:19-21 -- Treasures in Heaven. When we do everything for God, instead of seeking to please only ourselves, we find the “treasure” of peace and contentment. (The Good Samaritan)
Lesson 7: Jonah 3:3 -- Obedience. Only God knows what is best for us, and when we obey Him, we find the “treasure” of reaching our fullest potential. (Jonah)
Lesson 8: Psalm 139:14 -- Creation. Each one of us is a “treasure,” a child of the King, made in the image of God. (Adam and Eve)
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment